FAQ: foreign tax credits, incorporation and Bitcoin – Episode 13


I have helped hundreds of people successfully navigate from the US to Canada. If you're thinking of moving or retiring to Canada contact me today to chat about your plans.

I can be reached via email at phil@philhogan.com, by phone at 250-661-9417 or through my contact page here.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Phil Hogan, CPA, CA, CPA (CO)
Cross-Border Tax and Investment Specialist

On episode #13 of Crossing the 49th Podcast we walk through more cross-border frequently asked questions.


  • I made a mistake on my cross-border returns, what should I do?
  • Should I keep my US inheritance in the US?
  • I’m getting audited by the CRA for my foreign tax credits, should I engage an accountant?
  • Should I incorporate as an American living in Canada?
  • Is the US economic stimulus payments taxable in Canada?
  • Can I buy a car with bitcoin?
  • I moved to Canada with stock options, how will these be taxed?

You can also stay updated on US Expat Tax and financial planning issues by following us at:

American in Canada Private Facebook Group
Americans in Canada Reddit sub Reddit
Here on Twitter
On Instagram here
Sign up for our Expat Tax and financial planning newsletter here
You can subscribe to my YouTube Channel here

Disclaimer: The information contained in this Podcast and YouTube video is for information purposes only and should not be construed as tax or financial planning advice. Tax and financial planning rules change from year to year and the information contained within may be outdated. Ensure to engage an experienced and competent tax and financial planner to help you with your tax and financial planning needs.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here