New Streamlined Procedures for US Citizens Living In Canada


I have helped hundreds of people successfully navigate from the US to Canada. If you're thinking of moving or retiring to Canada contact me today to chat about your plans.

I can be reached via email at, by phone at 250-661-9417 or through my contact page here.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Phil Hogan, CPA, CA, CPA (CO)
Cross-Border Tax and Investment Specialist

If you’re a US citizen or green card holder living in Canada and have not yet caught up on filing your US tax returns now is a great time to take advantage of the IRS’s new streamlined tax filing procedures.

Essentially the IRS is allowing non-resident US tax payers to catch up the last 3 years of US tax returns (1040) and 6 years of late FBARs.

The IRS is however assessing each tax filing with respect to compliance risk and those taxpayers who are deemed to be high risk will face potential additional filing requirement and/or questions from the IRS.

A more detailed discussion of the new streamlined procedures for catching up on your US returns can be found at our firm’s site.

Phil Hogan


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here