ROTH IRA Election – Income Tax Technical News no. 43

Expat Tax UpdatesKeep updated on Expat Tax and Financial Planning News

Each year I help over 500 clients file their Canadian and US tax returns as well as plan for both their Canadian and US investment accounts. I also regularly help new US clients plan for their move to Canada.

Feel free to reach out via email at or by phone or text here 250-661-9417.

The rules related to how you actually make the ROTH IRA election are contained within CRA’s Income Tax Technical News no. 43. To read the entirety of the technical guide please click the image below:

Facebook Comments


  1. Hi
    I am a canadian and have an IRA with a US bank/broker and i would like to know if i can convert IRA into an IRA Annuity (roth ira). If so is there a with holding tax when i receive the annuity.
    I have filed w8ben with the bank and i wonder if i enter my canadian social security on line 6 of the w8ben.

    Any clarifications you provide are greatly appreciated.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here